Mayor Turner’s Transition Team Moves In
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner released a list of the members of his Transition Team 10 days ago, on Friday, January 22nd. There hasn't been much news about the activities of any of the various committees yet. For those who are interested, the names of the various committees and “Co-Chairs” are listed below. Some committees have a “Chair” with a “Co-Chair” and some have two “Co-Chairs”, so it’s a little confusing who’s in charge.
Since I’m sure there are a lot of people who aren’t familiar with all the names I've added very summarized background information on each member. I tried to list their occupation and/or company name at a minimum. I added information about boards or other community organizations as well.
I couldn’t find relevant information for several appointments. If you see an error or have better information, please let me know at Bill.Frazer@CoreMunicipal.com
The Transition Team Executive Committee
- Chair David Mincberg – CEO of Flagship Capital Partners, a direct bridge lender that provides custom-tailored financial solutions to sponsors engaged in the acquisition of value-add real estate.
- Debra Tsuchiyama Baker - Attorney at Connelly, Baker, Wotring LLP
- Bill Baldwin - Owner, Boulevard Realty and active in the Houston Heights Association
- Stephen Costello - Former Houston City Council Member
- Maya Ford - Marketing Manager, Houston Zoo (Maybe she’s back at the Zoo, but her LinkedIn site says she left that position in 2011 – See below for more details)
- Ginny Goldman - Executive Director, Texas Organizing Project (“TOP”) (more detail below)
- Paul Puente - Executive Secretary, Houston Gulf Coast Building and Construction Trades Council
- Bobby Singh - Director, Isani Group, LLC - a multi-discipline consulting engineering firm
- Armando Walle - State Representative, Houston District 140
- Gerald Womack - Owner, Womack Development and Investment Realtors
Comprehensive Financial Reform Committee
- Chair Neil Thomas – Attorney with Norton Rose Fulbright. Heads NRF’s Houston municipal bond practice.
- Co-Chair Katy Caldwell – Executive Director of Legacy Community Health. Legacy is a full-service, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that identifies unmet needs and gaps in health-related services and develops client-centered programs to address those needs.
- Co-Chair David Collins – Politician, Activist. Co-chair Harris County Green Party. Worked at various times as a high school teacher, taxi driver, airline customer service agent, music retail clerk, résumé writer, IT training consultant, and IT support services analyst. Currently a blogger and writing a book.
- Co-Chair Santiago Castaneda – Vice President, Omega Engineers, Inc., a leader in civil engineering and construction management markets specializing in airport, engineering infrastructure, highway engineering, transportation planning, railway engineering, water resources, construction inspection, administration, and management. Omega Engineers, Inc. provides engineering and management solutions to federal, regional, and local government agencies as well as private industries statewide.
Public Works Committee
- Chair Wayne Klotz - President of Klotz Associates, Inc., a full service engineering firm.
- Co-Chair Tony Council - owner/CEO of TLC Engineering Inc., and a Registered Professional Engineer in Texas.
Public Safety Committee
- Co-Chair Brad Bradford - Attorney, Public Safety Consultant, former Houston Chief of Police, former At-large City Council Member and Vice Mayor Pro-Tem for the City of Houston
- Co-Chair Johnny Villarreal - Local 341 Firefighters Union Director
Houston Airport System Committee
- Chair Danny Perkins – Aviation and Community Development Consultant, ESC Polytech Consultants, Inc. Chair – Hobby Airport Management District
- Co-Chair Claudia Williamson - Director of Business Development for national architecture/engineering firm PGAL. Board Chair of Scenic Houston and advisory board member of the University of Houston Hobby Center for Public Policy.
Quality of Life Committee
- Co-Chair Nancy Kinder - President of the Kinder Foundation, an active and significant benefactor to numerous causes in Houston and elsewhere.
- Co-Chair Bill Baldwin - Broker/Owner at Boulevard Realty. Significantly involved in the Houston Heights Association, past president, V-P Elect, Treasurer, etc.
Economic Opportunity Committee
- Chair Ginny Goldman – Executive Director, TOP (Texas Organizing Project). TOP promotes social and economic equality for low to moderate income Texans through community and electoral organizing.
- Co-Chair Judson Robinson - President and CEO of the Houston Area Urban League.
- Chair Denis Braham – Attorney, Winstead. Shareholder; Chairman Emeritus; Co-Chair, Sports Business & Public Venues Industry Group; Co-Chair, Universities Industry Group
- Co-Chair Marvalette Hunter – Senior housing developer. Palisades of Inwood, Houston, a residential community for seniors, and Bell Towers Senior Living Center, Brenham.
Traffic and Transportation Committee
- Chair Ramesh Gunda – Founder and President of Gunda Corporation, a firm that provides planning, design and management services in all aspects of civil, traffic and transportation engineering, public works and municipal services, and program and construction management.
- Co-Chair Kendall Miller - President of Tanglewood Corporation, the developer and manager of various properties in the Houston-area, including the Tanglewood Center and Post Oak Shopping Center.
Criminal Justice System Committee
- Chair Sandra Guerra-Thompson - the Alumnae College Professor of Law and Director of the Criminal Justice Institute at the University of Houston Law Center.
- Co-Chair Deric Muhammad - Houston-based Activist/Organizer who addresses issues on Social Justice, Black Male Development, Police Brutality, Racial Inequality and other critical topics.
Public Health Committee
- Chair Maya Ford - marketing and communications professional. Sr. Director of Marketing, Legacy Community Health
- Co-Chair Marlen Trujillo
- Chair Assata Richards – Director of Sankofa Research Institute. Adjunct Professor at the University of Houston. Community organizer. Serves as the Vice Chair on the Board of Commissioners for Houston Housing Authority.
- Co-Chair Ken Valach – Trammell Crow Residential
- Chair Susie Molina - UH Community Relations Director.
- Co-Chair Erica Lee - Regional Quality Coordinator for the Nurse-Family Partnership’s National Service Office. Currently serves on the Harris County Board of Education - Precinct 1, Position 6.
- Royce Brooks policy advisor to the transition team – [no information.]
- Kathryn McNeil from the Downtown Theater District Houston is an advisor.